The Mumbai Police Force has finished 350 years of its presence. The inhabitants of Mumbai have been safeguarded by a coordinated power right from 1661. This was the period when Mumbai (prior called Bombay) was a Portuguese province. Around then the Mumbai Police Force was known as the Bhandari Militia. The arrangement of present day policing in Mumbai started when the Portuguese set up the main police station in 1661. That very year it was gifted by the Portuguese as a component of share to the British when Charles II wedded Catherine of Braganza.
In 1669 the islands of Mumbai were rented toward the East India Company by the crown at an ostensible lease of 10 British pounds, payable each September 30th. Around the same time Gerald Aungier turned into the Governor of Mumbai. He is viewed as the pioneer behind the Mumbai Police Force. He coordinated the Bhandari Militia’s with Subhedars who were settled at Mahim, Sewree and Sion. The primary police headquarters came up in Byculla in 1673.
This condition of issue went on till 1769 when formalized Police preparing was presented. The primary Police Commissioner James Todd was selected in 1769 and the current Police Commissioners follow their heredity to that period.
The primary Police Act when an European constable was delegated as the principal official happened on 20 May 1812. After three years (1815) the plan of guidelines for mtpolice2030.com Traffic Control of wheel barrows was passed. The Mumbai Police force came to fruition and in 1896 the Police Headquarters’ was moved to its present wonderful area at Crawford Market, near Dhobi Talao. The structure worked in the Anglo-Gothic style of Architecture go on as the Police Headquarters till today.
The Mumbai police was an European save till 1864, when the main Indian Police official Khan Bahadur Shaikh was named. Yet, it was not till 1947 that an Indian was designated as the Police Commissioner. The last British Police magistrate was AE Caffin who surrendered charge to JS Barucha on 15 August 1947. The principal lady constable to join the Mumbai Police force was Mrs Penchant Bala in 1942 and the primary lady sub-controller Ms Shanti Parwani was enlisted into the power in 1947.
With the city extending and development in wrongdoing the analyst (CID) branch was set up in 1944. The computerization of the power started in 1976, with the primary presentation of PCs. In 1995 the Police control room was automated.